Psalm 19

Hey there readers (if there are any). I realize I haven't been posting much (what else is new), but here's a few thoughts if there is anyone still reading. Today in our Chapel Dr. Cross spoke on Psalm 19. This idea is something that regularly amazes me since I found out about it. He was mainly making a distinction between the Hebrew words of "Elohim" and "Yahweh."

Both of these words are seen in this Psalm. It starts by declaring the majesty of God in His creation. The hebrew word for God here is Elohim. Then as one keeps reading to verse 7 the author uses "LORD" in our bibles, which means Yahweh. I do not just want to present this to you as an interesting difference, but instead I want to try and relate it to our hearts.

Traditionally Elohim is seen to display the majestic attributes of God (holy, worthy, mighty, powerful, etc.) whereas Yahweh is used to show the personal relationship of God (loving, always near, etc.). When we read this Psalm with this in mind it completely changes everything. Verses 7-11 are specifically talking about the law of the Yahweh and its characteristics. I want to start thinking of the law as part of my love relationship with Jesus, not just a set of rules and to do's, but something that causes me to fall more in love with Jesus.

Jesus said in John 15:10, "If you obey my commands you will remain in my love..." This is the only way to love. I have been asking the Lord to shift my paradigm (perspective) on obedience so that I would not just obey for obedience sake, but instead I would obey to fall more in love with Jesus. Those who love Him will obey His commands.

I don't understand how this works, and to be honest it sometimes offends my mind, but I want it! Looking at Psalm 19 shows us that there is something intimate about obeying the Lords commands. I hope this encourages you today, I know it has me! Cya!

"May the words of my mouth, and the meditations of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment